Green Deal Scheme

The Green Deal

The Green Deal is a scheme that can help you make energy-saving improvements to your home or business, for example:

Insulation – eg solid wall, cavity wall or loft insulation including External Wall Insulation.

  • You can make energy-saving improvements to your home or business without having to pay all the costs in advance.
  • You have to pay back the cost of the improvements over time because the Green Deal is a loan, not a grant. However, the savings on your energy bills after you’ve made the improvements should cover the repayment of the loan.
  • You can also choose to pay for improvements in advance using Green Deal providers and certified installers.


How to get a Green Deal

Follow these steps to work out if the Green Deal is for you and what to do next.

1. Check if your home or business is likely to benefit from the Green Deal.

2. Get a Green Deal assessment of your property to see what improvements you can make and how much you could save on your energy bills.

3. Decide how you’ll pay if you go ahead with the work. Check your options in the ‘Ways to pay’ section below.

4. Depending on how you’re paying, discuss with a Green Deal installer  or Green Deal provider  what work you want done and whether the Green Deal is right for you.

5. An installer carries out the work. Your home or business becomes more energy efficient.

Ways to pay

There are 2 main ways to pay for the improvements.

You can have a loan for the improvements so you don’t pay for them in advance. You’ll pay off the loan in instalments added to your electricity bill. Your loan and repayment rate is given in the contract you sign with the provider. This is known as your Green Deal Finance Plan. You need to contact a provider.

You can pay in advance. You need to contact an installer to do this.

In both cases you can apply for cashback  if you have had an assessment and accepted a quote from a provider. (So even if you’re paying in advance, you need to contact a provider not an installer.)

You can use a combination of payment methods.


Rented accommodation

You must get your tenant’s permission before you go ahead with improvements if you’re a landlord, and if you’re a tenant you must get your landlord’s permission to make improvements – this also applies to social housing.

Green Deal mark

All Green Deal organisations must be authorised – look for the quality mark.


You can complain about your Green Deal (